Monday, April 23, 2012

Thoughts on the warrant/budget

I don't want to give the school committee a budget increase of 5.2% when there's little inflation or overall student growth... but when I looked through the actual budget items, they seem to need it, for a variety of reasons from special education to older students costing more.  I couldn't find any wasteful spending.  These things are more complex than I thought.

That said, I'm disappointed that the library's only getting a 1.2% increase, well below most town departments.  As I see it, it's as important as the schools, and I'm going to see if I can get it raised.

Article 7: I'm for this.  It's an increase in the exemption for widows/widowers, orphans, seniors over 70, veterans and their spouses/parents, and the blind ( from 90% to 95%, but honestly I'd like it at 100%, the legal maximum.)  Heck, if possible I'd like to expand this exemption to other groups, but I probably can't - looks like it's handled at the state level.

Article 9: Property tax assistance to old and disabled.  WIsh it was higher, wish it was broader, if I can't get that I'll take what I have.

Article 16: I really need to look into this more.  Zoning is not an area I'm that familiar with  - I can read the language, but I don't know why it's needed or what the downside is.  Regarding swimming pools at least.

Article 17: I went to a board of selectmen hearing on this issue by accident.  It seems to be written too broadly - I sympathize with artists, but if they can hold large classes in studio apartments that's a lot of traffic in residential areas.  I'm a no unless I get convinced well.

Article 20: I had no idea we had a problem with archery without the board of selectmen's consent.

Article 21: I'm for it.  Let the voters decide.  And when they do, I'll be one of the voters voting yes - don't see any good in banning alcohol when the neighboring towns allow it, save for helping businesses in the neighboring towns at Needham's expense.

Article 22: Pesticides are generally bad, but the IPM policy seems like enough at restricting them?  Then again, Green Needham supports this article.  I need to learn more.

Article 23: I could not be more in favor of this resolution.  Citizens United must end.

Article 24: I'd love this job, but I think it's forbidden by conflict of interest issues.  No historian is going to vote no on archiving historical artifacts.

Article 25: It's expensive.  It's also housing for our least fortunate, for people who often have trouble living on their own, and independence can be a wonderful thing.  I'm in favor of it.

Articles 26-28: I'm a history major.  I've already made up my mind as a yes vote on anything related to history/preservation.

Article 30: Lots of appropriations for upgrades of equipment, seems necessary, need to learn more.

Article 31: Is parking that bad?  It's a lot of money, much of the town's in walking distance, and when my mom drives into needham she can usually find it.  Need to check with more motorists, but tentatively against.

Articles 32/33: Infrastructure and fire trucks are important.  I'm a yes.

Article 34: Is there a need for a parking garage?  This is something I need to listen to debate on.

Article 39: Can we just switch to grass?  I remember as a baseball fan hearing plenty of bad stuff about synthetic turf, and it seems really expensive to renovate it.  I support youth athletics, but if we can do this for cheaper we should.



No comments:

Post a Comment